Mission Statements:

Sending Flores exists to show the unconditional love of Christ to the world. We serve locally and globally and have a calling to be HIS hands and feet.
Velvet Hearts exists to show the unconditional love of Christ to women and men who work in the sex industry and to renew and reaffirm hope and a future to them.

Friday, February 7, 2020

The Power of Serving Brings Healing


I remember the first time I heard about Velvet Hearts. I was attending a Christian freedom retreat and was surrounded by a small group of like-minded women who were eager to seek the Lord for a deeper relationship with Him. We were hungry for more of Him and desired to be free from the bondage of our pasts. That weekend, I met Bambi Flores, the founder of Velvet Hearts, and my spiritual journey with the Lord has never been the same since.
While at the retreat, one of the women in attendance admitted her past in the sex industry. To let her know she wasn’t alone, myself and another woman raised our hands to say we had also previously worked as exotic dancers. Bambi told us how she was being led by the Lord to start a ministry to reach local dancers. As soon as she said this, I felt a deep tug in my heart but immediately ignored it. I had tucked that part of my past deep down inside and wasn’t ready to deal with it just yet.
You see, 18 years ago, I was a part of the sex industry. I worked as a dancer at a local club. The excitement of the lifestyle, the men and the chance to make lots of money lured me in. I eventually left that scene, but due to some shaming comments I had received, I was careful who I shared my past with for fear of judgment and condemnation. To protect myself, I locked away that part of my past. However, I was unaware that by stuffing this away, I was also denying myself the chance to heal from things that happened to me during that time. Years later, I chose a life for Jesus and He began putting influential, loving people into my path as He directed me toward truth and healing.
After meeting Bambi, I would look for her Facebook posts as Velvet Hearts officially launched. I watched as week after week she posted photos and videos of the outreach team preparing to love on the women they would encounter that night. Their faces were all so expectant and hopeful as they held up body scrubs, makeup and cupcakes they would be bringing to show love and acceptance as they visited the clubs to share Jesus with the women working there.  Each time I saw one of her posts, I felt like I was supposed to be a part of that team and that tug in my heart would pull again. I ignored it until I no longer could.
I finally reached out to Bambi offering to share my story with her. She agreed to meet me for coffee. As we talked and she listened to my testimony, something amazing and freeing happened. For the first time, I began to see how protected by God I had been when I worked in the club. As I heard my story unfolding in my own words, the Holy Spirit allowed me to see how God had been in all the little details, keeping me safe. I finally realized that all of this time, God had been chasing me down and drawing me to Him. In that moment, I could sense the overwhelming love He had for me.
Bambi encouraged me to write my testimony down, to get it all out and then ask the Holy Spirit to put me back in that club setting and allow me to see where Jesus was in all of it. I went home and prayed, not sure what to expect. Later that evening, a flood of emotions engulfed me as I began remembering things that I had repressed: things I had done and things that were done to me during that time. The pain was unimaginable and I was questioning why this was happening but giving a name to what happened to me helped with the healing process. I could feel the Holy Spirit working within me and although it hurt to relive my past, I could feel nothing but love as He led me through it. 
I was then able to envision Jesus in every area of that club. He was there through it all: the nights I cried, the times I was disgusted with a customer, when I had an altercation with another dancer, or when I was groped or too intoxicated. I was never alone; He was always there, lovingly watching me and working it all out to draw me to Him. As I relived my past, He showed me so much love, grace and forgiveness. Through this exercise of prayer and writing my testimony, I was able to receive supernatural healing from the hurt I had been carrying for so many years.
Later, I was led by the Lord to join the Velvet Hearts Go Team where I was given the privilege to serve alongside some amazing, godly women. Walking back into that old environment was difficult at first but I eventually fell right into it and looked forward to my Friday nights when I would get to visit with the women I had befriended at the clubs. I loved being able to make connections and show love to the women I saw each week. Nothing else compares to hearing your name excitedly screamed over the loud thumping club music, then turning to see a beautiful, bubbly young woman jumping off of the stage to come hug your neck because she is so overjoyed that you came to see her.
18 years ago, I never would’ve thought I would be on the other side, being the one to share love, tears and prayers with these precious women. During my time on the Go Team, I made connections with many women that impacted me and will forever be dear to me. For some of the women I encountered, hearing my testimony and knowing that we aren’t just “church ladies” who come in to beat the bible over them, but that we have members who have actually been involved in the industry, has allowed them to lower their walls and let us share Jesus with them. I loved that I could relate to them on such an intimate level.
So my support and love for Velvet Hearts is personal. Because of Bambi’s willingness to listen to the Lord and start this ministry, she has reached countless women involved in the sex industry and has given them hope, friendship and a place to turn to where they are accepted and loved. As she does for all of the women she ministers to, Bambi pointed me to God who then offered me healing, love and freedom. He gave me a clean heart and showed me that I am seen, known, and loved.

- Jill Dusza
  Former Velvet Hearts Go Team member

No comments:

Post a Comment